Workers Compensation

Do know your monetary/contractual options in the event of work time loss

While you are waiting for your claim to be processed by WCB, request in writing to your PTM, sick time (income protection) payment.


If you have documented an incident as a WCB claim, you will not be paid sick time if you do not request it.


If you do not have sick time for prepayment, make sure you prepay (both your and the employer’s portion) of your benefits so there is no lapse in coverage while you are not getting paid by the employer.


If you do not have sick time available you can apply for Employment Insurance (EI) while you are waiting for your claim to be processed by WCB.

If your claim is accepted by WCB, review collective agreement article 2303 b) i) and request a top-up of your WCB payment.  Not only does this maximize your financial options, it also means that the employer must pay the employer portion of your benefits. Otherwise, you will need to pay the benefits yourself for the period of work time loss.


Note:   WCB legislation and policies do not allow the employer to pay you salary for a period of work time loss due to workplace injury or illness. This rule is to protect you, the worker. What may be a solitary occurrence at the time may require future periods of work time loss and/or medical treatment. Therefore, WCB needs to be aware of and have documented your claim at the initial onset. If your manager offers salary payment in these circumstances you should refuse, refer your manager to the Local 5 office, and file a claim with WCB.